Monday, January 14, 2013

The Eliot School

Eliot School building

Last week I visited The Eliot School in Jamaica Plain.  The Eliot School offers classes in crafts and fine arts for all ages.  The school has been around since 1676 when thirty-eight residents of Jamaica plain donated land to support a school.  For two centuries the school educated Africans, Native Americans and colonial children from John Eliot, local farmer and Apostle to the Indians. 

In the late 19th century the school turned its focus to the arts.  " Manual Arts," traditionally practiced at home, were disappearing in modern cities.  Called on to supplement Boston's public school offerings, the Eliot School taught woodworking, cooking and more.  Manual training schoolteachers followed, then instruction for adults, then children's after - school.

Today the school is well known for teaching a variety of diverse classes to all age groups and it's historic site.
I'll be teaching as a substitute teacher for the very beginners woodworking class.  I'll be teaching Jan 28, Feb 4 and Feb 11.  I can't wait' 

No comments:

Post a Comment