Thursday, January 23, 2014

Across The Pond

Yesterday I shipped one of my Bread Side Tables to England.
I love making these quirky tables and I love it that they have found an audience.
The tables are made using vintage bread boxes and attaching vintage ottoman legs to a plywood base that is fitted into the bottom of the bread box. Sometimes I 'll paint the legs. I attach a chain so the door will remain open so a book or a morning cup of coffee can be placed on it.  The table going to England will be used as a telephone table.  I drilled a hole in the back of the box to accept the wires.
I sell these tables on line through my etsy store.



I recently received a comment about my bread box tables on my etsy page.  If anyone knows me they know that I love mid century modern design and aesthetic.  My bread side tables are inspired by my love of all things vintage and in know way would I call them mid century modern.  The bread box and ottomans I use for the table come from that era and are a product of that design aesthetic. Below is the comment that a woman from South Carolina posted on my etsy page.  What is the saying about bad press ?
Making these tables make me smile and for the few moments it takes too make a table I escape the seriousness of the world.  I'm not thinking about the money we owe or the bills but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I applaud this woman for speaking out.  So many people say things quietly without ever standing up for themselves.
"please stop ruining mid century furniture. The only reason I even saw this atrocity is because someone posted it in the "shame" section of a mid century club. it has over 50 comments, and not one is giving this mess praise. so please stop ruining things that can't be replaced. thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment