Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hancock

Last Saturday my wife and son and I went to Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield, MA. I love shaker furniture. The shakers were much more than just furniture makers. There are all kinds of books out there on the shakers, their life as a utopian sect, their simple yet very disciplined way of life, and their inventions to name just a few. If you like living history museums you must make a trip to the Hancock Shaker Village. I took a lot of pictures, mostly of the... furniture, the incredible round stone barn and the woodshop.
My son had a blast seeing the baby animals that had just been born.

This was an inspiring trip. In episode two of the show, which airs on Rhode Island PBS next Saturday, I made a rustic chair with a shaker woven seat. I stumbled and stumbled my way through weaving that seat. It finally turned out well but it was a task. I saw a device that the shakers invented to make the job of weaving a seat so much easier. I wish I had made a visit to the village earlier.
I think I'll try building a shaker style box for the show. They're so simple, minimal and absolutely beautiful'
Attached are just a few of the images from the village.
As always - Thanks for watching and following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve








 

No comments:

Post a Comment