Thursday, July 7, 2016

Hold downs
For the past few days I've been working on a jig to help make cutting the bench parts to size easier, quicker, and more exact.
There are many methods but I decided to make a jig that the bench post and legs will fit into, so I can cut the tapers using my table saw.
The jig is made from a 3/4 inch piece of plywood that is 28 inches wide. There are many pieces of one inch plywood attached to it that hold, or nestle, the bench parts in place. Lining them up correctly.
One edge of the jig will ride along the table saw fence and the other will be against the saw blade, cutting off any material hanging over the edge of the plywood jig. I'll turn it around, lining up the other edge to the fence, attach the other leg and make the same cut. Now I'll have two pieces tapered and ready to be attached to the bench stretchers.
I made my own hold down clamps using the off cuts of spruce I had and some small pieces of 1/2 inch ply. I used spray adhesive to attach some bits of leather to the underside. I drilled a hole through the pieces where a 1/4 inch machine bolt fits through. I then sprayed the clamps with lacquer. I also sprayed the plywood jig with a coat of lacquer. It helps keep my instructions and layout lines from wearing off. I scuffed up the leather so it will help grip the wood.
I drilled a few holes in the plywood jig where I inset some threaded insert nuts. This is where the machine bolt fits into. Once my material is set in place I simply screw in the bolt and the spruce hold down clamps tighten to the material, keeping it in place.
Store bought toggle ( hold down clamps ) can cost at least $20 each.
Why spend money when you don't have to. Besides - it's much more rewarding to see your hard work work'
As always - Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve








No comments:

Post a Comment