Friday, June 20, 2014

I love building outdoor furniture. The whole idea behind outdoor furniture is to sit, relax, be with family, entertain with friends, enjoy the sunshine and warmth and just be outdoors.
We've had a lot of rain lately but I finally found a window of opportunity to give all of our outdoor furniture a coat of water seal.

My favorite place to be is outside on our deck. It's small but its our little oasis. I love to sit in a chair I made with my own hands and eat at the table I made. You might recognize the two seater table in the attached image. It's from episode ten, Dinner for Two, or the planter box from episode eleven. There's no better feeling or sense of accomplishment. Outdoor furniture doesn't have to be complicated, it's meant to serve a purpose. If you've never built a picnic table then give it a try, most home centers have a set of plans, and some for free. You'll get hours of satisfaction building it and you'll feel a sense of pride every time you sit at it.
Building materials for it are inexpensive and if you're thrifty you can probably get free material from craigslist or freecycle.

A few years ago we lived in rural New Jersey, a town called Layton. It's located in the scenic Delaware Water Gap Recreation area. We lived in a beautiful old home from the 18oo's that had a wonderful wrap around porch. I made a swing for the porch. My wife and I would sit in and take in the awesome view. The swing now hangs between two trees in our backyard, reminding us of that special time and place. If you're familiar with the Georgia based rockabilly band Hot Rod Walt and The Psycho Devilles then you know that Walt Richards aka: Hot Rod Walt is from that great area. If you're not familiar with them you should be, they're awesome' Check them out at www.pychodevilles.com. Walt and the band generously provided all of the music for episode ten, Dinner for Two.

Give it a try''' There are all kinds of books online or at your local library about how to build outdoor furniture. Incorporate the help of your family and create some memories. Attached are some images of the swing and a very rudimentary rustic outdoor table.

Speaking of memories. If you Northerners find yourself complaining about the rain or the heat, just look at the attached image I took looking out my window this winter.
Build, create, and have fun outdoors' Send me a picture of what you make,' I'll post it on the 'Viewers Gallery' page of the website.
Thanks for following
Best
Steve







No comments:

Post a Comment