I love projects that are simple yet efficient. I also enjoy repurposing and reusing materials. It gives me that pioneer spirit. When I was cleaning off the deck and putting away the outdoor furniture for the season I was reminded about just how much I enjoyed making the cafe style tables. I replaced a bulkhead door for a friend of mine. I kept the old door. I thought it was beautiful. It was made out of old tongue and grooved pine boards that had been painted over quite a few times. It still had all of the old hardware on it.
I used the door for the table tops. I was able to cut two circular pieces out of it. There's definitely no complicated joinery in these tables. I used a pressure treated 4" x 4" I had for the table posts. I cut 3" x 3/8" deep rabbets (notches) on both ends on all sides and then used some pine pieces I had leftover from a previous project for the feet and to hold the table top. I put them in the rabbets and glued and screwed them together. I drilled and countersunk screw holes in the top pine pieces to attach the top.
Screwing directly into the table top doesn't really allow for wood movement but it's quick and the top is so old and has expanded and contracted throughout the years I felt it was well seasoned. I did elongate some of the screw holes to help if their was an issue. So far so good.
The table has weathered and aged beautifully. It was simple to make, didn't cost a thing except my time and looks great on the deck. It doesn't get any better. I even left the door handle on one piece just to remind me of my friend Pat, the history and life of the table.
In an upcoming episode I'll be making the same table. To see the very simple yet very efficient jig I made to cut the two circles out of the door check out the 'Tips and Techniques' page of the website www.thegaragewithstevebutler.com
As always - Thanks for and following.
Best
Steve
I used the door for the table tops. I was able to cut two circular pieces out of it. There's definitely no complicated joinery in these tables. I used a pressure treated 4" x 4" I had for the table posts. I cut 3" x 3/8" deep rabbets (notches) on both ends on all sides and then used some pine pieces I had leftover from a previous project for the feet and to hold the table top. I put them in the rabbets and glued and screwed them together. I drilled and countersunk screw holes in the top pine pieces to attach the top.
Screwing directly into the table top doesn't really allow for wood movement but it's quick and the top is so old and has expanded and contracted throughout the years I felt it was well seasoned. I did elongate some of the screw holes to help if their was an issue. So far so good.
The table has weathered and aged beautifully. It was simple to make, didn't cost a thing except my time and looks great on the deck. It doesn't get any better. I even left the door handle on one piece just to remind me of my friend Pat, the history and life of the table.
In an upcoming episode I'll be making the same table. To see the very simple yet very efficient jig I made to cut the two circles out of the door check out the 'Tips and Techniques' page of the website www.thegaragewithstevebutler.com
As always - Thanks for and following.
Best
Steve




No comments:
Post a Comment