We just finished editing the latest episode and we don't start shooting another until next Wednesday. So what do you do when it's a slow day in the garage?
Well- you make a charcoal chimney out of a coffee can of course' ...
We have a kettle style charcoal grill. I love it', but the charcoal chimney has seen better days. I don't like to spend money on something if I can make my own. So today, between doing computer work, I decided to make a chimney out of a coffee can.
Well- you make a charcoal chimney out of a coffee can of course' ...
We have a kettle style charcoal grill. I love it', but the charcoal chimney has seen better days. I don't like to spend money on something if I can make my own. So today, between doing computer work, I decided to make a chimney out of a coffee can.
The first thing I did was to peel the paper label off and then cut the bottom of the can off. I took a church key ( can opener ) and used it to cut triangle openings every inch or so, approximately an inch up from the bottom. This lets some air in and stokes the coal.
I then drilled some air holes into the bottom and nestled the bottom against the triangular pieces that curled in from the can opener. They support the bottom in place.
I used a couple of pieces of a metal coat hanger and wove it through the bottom and through the sides of the can. This helps secure the bottom so that when you dump the coal out it doesn't come with it.
I took a six inch piece of 3/4 inch dowel rod and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the center of it. I drilled a mating hole into the side of the coffee can.
I then used a three inch bolt to attach the dowel to the can. I used nuts and washers to secure it in place.
Now all that is needed is to fill it with charcoal and fire up the grill'
I like slow days in the garage'
As always- Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve
I then drilled some air holes into the bottom and nestled the bottom against the triangular pieces that curled in from the can opener. They support the bottom in place.
I used a couple of pieces of a metal coat hanger and wove it through the bottom and through the sides of the can. This helps secure the bottom so that when you dump the coal out it doesn't come with it.
I took a six inch piece of 3/4 inch dowel rod and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the center of it. I drilled a mating hole into the side of the coffee can.
I then used a three inch bolt to attach the dowel to the can. I used nuts and washers to secure it in place.
Now all that is needed is to fill it with charcoal and fire up the grill'
I like slow days in the garage'
As always- Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve

No comments:
Post a Comment