Yesterday was a fun creative day. I'm ambivalent about big box stores. I'm neither for or against them. I do prefer to give my business and money to a local, neighborhood mom and pop store. However - because of the volume of business a big box store does enables them to offer some things a smaller business can't.
Each first Saturday of the month the Home Depot offers kids workshops for free. The kids get an apron, a badge with an image of the workshop project on it, a certificate of completion, and a finished project.
Yesterday we headed off to the workshop at 9 AM. It only takes an hour to complete the project but what a great way to spend some quality time with your child. And - it's free. These workshops occur at every Home Depot in the nation at the same time. We purposely went to a Home Depot further from our house so we could enjoy a country road drive.
Yesterday my son made a military style jet in honor of veterans day. It came with decals from each service.
Yesterday we headed off to the workshop at 9 AM. It only takes an hour to complete the project but what a great way to spend some quality time with your child. And - it's free. These workshops occur at every Home Depot in the nation at the same time. We purposely went to a Home Depot further from our house so we could enjoy a country road drive.
Yesterday my son made a military style jet in honor of veterans day. It came with decals from each service.
After the workshop we drove the country roads and headed to the Worcester Art Museum. Each first Saturday of the month the Worcester Art Museum has free admission. Not bad considering that the regular adult ticket is $14. If you've never been to the WAM you should go. It's a first rate museum. My son loves the collection of armor they have. The knights exhibit even has the real Batman dark knight costume. I always look at the collection in the Americana exhibit. The period furniture is so well crafted and beautiful, I'm in awe at what was achieved.
There's an exhibit by a Moroccan artist that I fell in love with. His recreation of a vernacular Moroccan salon is fantastic. I love high end furniture like the pieces in the Americana exhibit but I also love pieces that are simple and made out of necessity. There's a different beauty to them. The ordinary is made extraordinary.
As is the case in the salon. Flour bags are made into beautiful pillows that sit on coca-cola crates, creating a sofa. Paint cans and buckets are made into beautiful stools and seats, adorned with cushions of Moroccan patterns. I could feel the sense of pride the maker must have had when he finished. He had to be resourceful due to economy and finances and yet he created a beautiful place for his family.
As is the case in the salon. Flour bags are made into beautiful pillows that sit on coca-cola crates, creating a sofa. Paint cans and buckets are made into beautiful stools and seats, adorned with cushions of Moroccan patterns. I could feel the sense of pride the maker must have had when he finished. He had to be resourceful due to economy and finances and yet he created a beautiful place for his family.
After our trip to the museum we went out for lunch. Our creative venture started at 9 AM with a visit to our local library. We finally got back home sometime past 2 PM. What a great day we had. We all had fun. The drive was like a Sunday dinner at the dining table. It allowed us to talk to each other and catch up. I - like the salon artist at the museum had a great sense of pride. Because of economy we have to be resourceful, we created a fantastic day for ourselves, and all for free.
As always - Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve

No comments:
Post a Comment