Bottoms up'
Yesterday i spent some time cutting and fitting the bottom of the chest/box. Why spend money when you don't have to. I while ago I found a small bookcase made out of pine that came from the Pier One Import company. I took it apart and have since use some of the wood from it. I had a single board left that I used for the bottom of the box. The board wasn't wide enough to fit the entire box bottom so I used a piece of pine I took from a pallet.
I cut the stained pine board and put the pallet board in the middle. I thought it looked better. The pine board was cut from the pith ( center ) of the tree so it has some great grain running through it.
I cut the stained pine board and put the pallet board in the middle. I thought it looked better. The pine board was cut from the pith ( center ) of the tree so it has some great grain running through it.
One of the boards has the pier one import logo stamped into it.
I love it.' Gives it a little history.
I know recycling/re-use/ up-cycling, whatever you want to call it, is popular and trendy these days. I call it being thrifty and smart.
Some might not like the look of it, I happen to like it and it makes me feel good knowing I didn't waste anything. I love giving new life to old objects or materials
I love it.' Gives it a little history.
I know recycling/re-use/ up-cycling, whatever you want to call it, is popular and trendy these days. I call it being thrifty and smart.
Some might not like the look of it, I happen to like it and it makes me feel good knowing I didn't waste anything. I love giving new life to old objects or materials
I added 3/8 inch strips of wood to the bottom edges to elevate the box slightly. This makes the box look lighter. The strips are inset back approximately an 1/8 of an inch from the edge of the sides and front and back. This also gives it a sense of being lighter but it also creates a shadow line. If I had attached the strips so that they were flush with the sides and front and back you would be able to see the difference where the two meet. Any discrepancies would stand out. By setting them back you avoid this.
Now I'm off to make the curved top.
As always - Thanks for
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve
following.

No comments:
Post a Comment