'Come Together'
i spent the last few days working on the prototype for the next project of the show. I making a pine coopered lid chest. The box itself is joined together using large box/finger joints. I made a simple jig for the router to cut the joints. The front and back of the box fits nicely into the sides. I then glued and nailed the box together using old fashioned square head nails, giving it a rustic look.
The jig was simple too make. I cut a scrap piece of plywood to the width of my boards, In this case ten inches. I attached a fence at the ten inch mark. On one edge of the jig, using my table saw and a set of stacked dado blades, I cut the fingers for the front and back, and on the other edge of the jig I cut the mating fingers and recesses for the sides.
I simply cut the boards to length and width, placed one end and edge against the fence of the jig. I'm using a top bearing flush trim bit so I placed my boards on top of the jig, but - you also could use a bottom bearing pattern bit and do the same thing by placing the jig on top of the boards.
The bearing rides against the plywood jig/template and the bit cuts away the pine following the pattern. That's it. Turn the board end for end and do the same thing to the other end. Line up the side boards to the side pattern of the jig and do the same thing.
It couldn't be any easier. It all comes together nicely. Jigs don't have to be fancy, they just have to work. You'll have to trim a small amount of wood away because of the round profile of the router bit. Just simply take a chisel and square up the corners.
It couldn't be any easier. It all comes together nicely. Jigs don't have to be fancy, they just have to work. You'll have to trim a small amount of wood away because of the round profile of the router bit. Just simply take a chisel and square up the corners.
Next I have to attach the bottom and make the curved sides for the top.
as always - Thanks for
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve
following

No comments:
Post a Comment