Thursday, March 17, 2016

Curve appeal

Curve appeal'
I finally decided how, and what type of finish I'm going to use on the coopered lid chest.
I'm using an oil and a wax finish.
Today was a great day to do some finishing outdoors.
I use a product called 'Dura Seal' from min-wax , which is now owned by Sherwin Williams. Dura Seal is an oil based product made for hardwood floors. You can get in neutral or pigmented.
It has a little varnish in it so it cures nicely. The oil penetrates the wood and the varnish cures, adding protection.
You probably won't find Dura Seal at your local home center but you can order it at most Sherwin Williams paint stores or find a local flooring supply store and they might have it. It's incredibly easy to use. You simply apply a liberal amount with a brush, wait fifteen minutes and wipe off the excess. I normally wait a day before applying a wax top coat to the surface. You might have to buy a large container of Dura Seal, I don't think they sell it in small quantities but it's worth it. I've had my container forever and it hasn't hardened like other products.
Instead of regular paste wax I'm going to use shoe polish. You can by wax with a tint in it but it's expensive. I bought a small can of tan shoe polish. Once the oil drys I'll apply the shoe polish. If I apply too much and it's to dark I can simply wipe the excess off.
After I apply the polish I'll wait twenty minutes and then buff it out with a piece of denim cloth. The denim brings up a nice sheen, almost burnishing the wood. The tinted wax will give the distressed pine an aged look.
As always - Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative.
Best
Steve




No comments:

Post a Comment