BOOK REVIEW'''
I love collecting books about art, crafts and trades. As an educator I collect them because I might find a great article I can use for a class or a great illustration I can use as a class hand out. I love learning about crafts and trades that have since gone extinct. I use to work at a living history museum in Toronto, Canada called Black Creek Pioneer Village where I divided my time as the old time cabinet maker and the cooper. The cooper is a person who makes buckets and barrels and today the trade is almost all but gone.
http://www.blackcreek.ca/
When I worked at Black Creek Pioneer Village I bought a book called 'The Forgotten crafts' by John Seymour. I lost the book in one of my many moves so I recently purchased a copy. It has been so exciting to get reacquainted with this book. I forgot how awesome it is. Don't get me wrong. I love my machines, and there's a place for them in the workshop. Time is money after all and we all need to make a living but if you like to do things by hand then this book is for you, especially if you like to learn about the trades of yesteryear.
The Author John Seymour is British so some of the terminology might be different than what you're use to but these books will give you great insight into some forgotten trade such as coopering, bessom making ( broom making ), rake making, thatching, saddle making. woodworking, millwrighting, rope making, and blacksmithing. These books won't teach you all you need to know about a certain craft or trade but they will give you great historical insight into these lost trades and hopefully inspire you to learn more.
I love reusing, recycling and repurposing materials and John's books advocate this ethos so I feel particularly drawn to these books. No matter what your living situation is you'll get something out of them.
Not all of us have acreage to turn into a garden or pasture for animals or crops but if you're interested in learning how they did it in the - good - old - days then the books by John Seymour are for you.
I bought my hardcover book for $8 on amazon.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
John Seymour was educated in England and Switzerland. After studying agriculture in college, he worked on farms in England and Africa. Seymour travelled widely and spent much time studying the ways of life of rural people. For eight years he and his wife ran a small farm in Suffolk, England based on the principles of self sufficiency. He and his wife moved to Wales where they started a school based on these principles. He now lives in Ireland. Among his many books about life on the land are 'The Guide to Self Sufficiency' and 'The Forgotten Household crafts'.
As Always
Thanks for following.
Best
Steve
I love collecting books about art, crafts and trades. As an educator I collect them because I might find a great article I can use for a class or a great illustration I can use as a class hand out. I love learning about crafts and trades that have since gone extinct. I use to work at a living history museum in Toronto, Canada called Black Creek Pioneer Village where I divided my time as the old time cabinet maker and the cooper. The cooper is a person who makes buckets and barrels and today the trade is almost all but gone.
http://www.blackcreek.ca/
When I worked at Black Creek Pioneer Village I bought a book called 'The Forgotten crafts' by John Seymour. I lost the book in one of my many moves so I recently purchased a copy. It has been so exciting to get reacquainted with this book. I forgot how awesome it is. Don't get me wrong. I love my machines, and there's a place for them in the workshop. Time is money after all and we all need to make a living but if you like to do things by hand then this book is for you, especially if you like to learn about the trades of yesteryear.
The Author John Seymour is British so some of the terminology might be different than what you're use to but these books will give you great insight into some forgotten trade such as coopering, bessom making ( broom making ), rake making, thatching, saddle making. woodworking, millwrighting, rope making, and blacksmithing. These books won't teach you all you need to know about a certain craft or trade but they will give you great historical insight into these lost trades and hopefully inspire you to learn more.
I love reusing, recycling and repurposing materials and John's books advocate this ethos so I feel particularly drawn to these books. No matter what your living situation is you'll get something out of them.
Not all of us have acreage to turn into a garden or pasture for animals or crops but if you're interested in learning how they did it in the - good - old - days then the books by John Seymour are for you.
I bought my hardcover book for $8 on amazon.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
John Seymour was educated in England and Switzerland. After studying agriculture in college, he worked on farms in England and Africa. Seymour travelled widely and spent much time studying the ways of life of rural people. For eight years he and his wife ran a small farm in Suffolk, England based on the principles of self sufficiency. He and his wife moved to Wales where they started a school based on these principles. He now lives in Ireland. Among his many books about life on the land are 'The Guide to Self Sufficiency' and 'The Forgotten Household crafts'.
As Always
Thanks for following.
Best
Steve







No comments:
Post a Comment