After an intense week of teaching or making I like to wind down and clear my head by making something fun. This cigar box guitar is certainly that. Last year I made a ukulele out of a Hormel Ham container. I called it my Hamolin. It played well. My Friend Mike Lilly in Pennsylvania has it. I'm making a cigar box guitar for the show " The Garage" so it's a good warm up for it.
I had to take the lid off of the box, cut a notch in the body to accommodate the fret board and then glue the lid back on. I cut a series of sound holes in the lid. I made a bridge and nut using some small off cuts of rosewood and cocobolo I had left over from a previous project. I sanded the body and sprayed a coat of lacquer all over the guitar. The neck and fret board are made out of a piece of 3/4 inch mahogany. The tuning pegs were cheap to buy. I ordered the pegs from Stuart MacDonald Luthier supply. A package of six only cost $14.00. All that is left to do is to string it up'
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment