Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Spline Jig

We are in the process of shooting another episode.  I'm building a toy chest with a frame and panel lid.  The panel is a piece if 3/4 " plywood, framed on three sides with pine.  The three corners are mitered and then splined.  Miter joints are weak.  The end grain surface needs to be reinforced.  If you don't want to see the joint you can use biscuits or hidden splines.  I chose to use splines.  I like the contrast.  I made a very simple yet very efficient jig to cut the spline grooves.  I took a piece of 3/4 " plywood and attached two pieces of pine that were cut at 45 degrees on one end.  I attached the pine pieces so that they met and were flush at the bottom of the ply.  This would be enough to do the job but I attached a second, narrower piece of ply to act as a support, adding stability, keeping the jig from rocking when being pushed through the saw blade and it holds the work pieces snuggly in place..
Make sure that you put the screws in high enough that the blade won't hit them when using the jig
I used a single blade on the saw and made two passes.  I cut splines out of 1/4' plywood stock.  My frame material was 3/4' thick so I simply created a 1/4' spline groove down the middle. A simple jig that works well and can be made out of material found in your scrap bin.








No comments:

Post a Comment