Sunday, September 20, 2015

Lap desk

Lap desk
When i was the department head of woodworking at Peters valley craft Center I had the pleasure of working alongside many talented and renown woodworkers. One of them was Christian Becksvoort. Chris is a furniture maker from New Gloucester, ME and is a contributing editor of fine woodworking magazine.
My position at Peters valley meant I had to teach workshops as well as hire guest artisans to teach woodworking workshops.
I've admired Chris's work for some time so it was exciting news when Chris agreed to teach a week long workshop . The project for the five day workshop was a shaker style lap desk. It was a pleasure to work alongside Chris, he was a gentleman and joy to watch work.
My copy of fine woodworking came in the mail recently and on the cover was Chris's lap desk. Inside the issue is detail instructions on how to construct the desk. I'm glad Chris's desk made it to print, it should be shared. It's an awesome project. My brother recently retired. I wanted to make him something special for his retirement. My brother is an avid reader and writer. Chris's lap desk project came to mind. I had sat in on Chris's class years ago so I simply had to go through some old notes, haul out the pine boards I had for this project, and then make it my own.
Thanks Chris- you taught a great class for me and my brother loves his lap desk.
Attached are images of the lap desk I made, and Chris's recent article in fine woodworking magazine.
As always - Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve






No comments:

Post a Comment