Sunday, August 16, 2015

A busy day in the garage
Yesterday was a busy day in the garage. I glued up stock to make pieces large enough for the bench side panels. You could cut all of the joinery after the side panels are made but I find it easier to do beforehand, then I glue them together, scrap the excess glue off and sand the panels: Done'
I cut the side back taper on the band saw and then trued it up with a hand plane
I used a stacked dado set on the table saw to cut the half lap notches in the side panels and the brackets. They are the same size so it's only one set up.
I'm back at it today so I'll have more images soon.
By the way - the original bench from Hancock shaker village was made using 7/8 inch pine. I'm using 3/4 inch pine. This way you can buy the material at any home center, pre milled and dimensioned which makes it accessible to most and build the bench'
Not all of us have a jointer or a planer. If you would prefer to use thicker material, nothing changes. The joinery is exactly the same.
As always - Thanks forfollowing
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve




 

No comments:

Post a Comment