Sunday, March 5, 2017

If it walks like a duck

If it walks like a duck
And sounds like a duck'
Well - Sometimes it's not a duck'
You're probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about.
Well - as you know we recently moved and I did some work in a barn to use as a shop space. Well - the deal that was struck turned out to be to good to be true. Which is a shame, I really liked the space. It's turned out for the best though. I did get paid for my hard work, and I realized some things.
The whole time I was working on the space I felt a little weird, and kind of guilty. Not knowing why til afterwards. The show is humble, and that's the appeal. It harkens back to bygone days when folks would come home from work, roll up their shirt sleeves and go to work in their basement and garage workshops. Hence the name of the show " The Garage with Steve Butler".
It was obvious that the new space wasn't a garage. It's a barn'. Was I going to change the name of the show to 'The Barn with Steve Butler'? Not unless I wanted to start a new show on animal planet' Of course not. Things just didn't sit right.
The projects are geared to make woodworking accessible to all, economically and technically. I try to show that there are many ways to get from point 'A' to point 'B'. I never want anyone to be intimidated and not try to learn woodworking. I guess in a weird way I felt like I was selling out.
Would I like a larger shop space? Of course' Who wouldn't?
But that's not what the show's about. So - I'll continue to move things around in order to work, like most of us do. A recent commercial stated that " great things have come out of a garage"
In this case 'size doesn't matter', creating awesome objects happens anywhere, large or small. All of the episodes you have watched have come out of a single car garage shop. It's not about the space, it's about the projects, and learning the craft of woodworking.
So- here's the new space. It's empty right now but I'll be insulating it and putting up more sheet goods on the walls. I can't wait to share the projects that come out of this space with you.
 Some things have a way of just working out for the best.
As always - Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment