The Coop
Earlier I posted about building a chicken coop. My intention was to build a coop similar to one I had made about six years ago.
We just moved and I have to fix up another shop space, and quite honestly things are tight at the moment. Moving is expensive so any way to save is great.
We just moved and I have to fix up another shop space, and quite honestly things are tight at the moment. Moving is expensive so any way to save is great.
I have some OSB boards that I was going to use for the coop but I need them for the garage walls. I decided that I would make the coop out of whatever I had at hand. There is a loft space in the garage that has some materials stored away in it. I went up into the space yesterday and found a gold mine. There was some old pine boards with a fantastic patina on them, some ship lap boards, some plywood pieces, old 2 x 4's, there's even a stack of shingles.
Everything I need to make a coop.
Everything I need to make a coop.
All of my equipment, with the exception of a small circular saw, a chop saw, and a brad nailer, is in storage. Yesterday I put this small arsenal of tools to work. I set up my two WORX Pegasus folding tables and got to work scrounging around for materials.
I don't have a plan per say, but the coop should be big enough to house 3 - 4 birds.
I made two frames out of the 2 x 4's, approximately 36" x 42". I cut four pieces and attached them as legs. I then used the pine boards I had and covered two sides. The boards are of random widths and lengths so I cut them at 33 inches. That's what I could yield from most of them. I used the pieces of 3/4 " ply for the floor. There are some small gaps between the pine boards but they're going to get covered with small strips of wood to create a board and batten look. Eventually I'll paint the coop.
Today I'm going to make the nesting boxes and attach them to the coop, and I have an old ( small ) bulk head door that I'll attach. You can easily make a door with the cut off pieces of pine. The one I have is from the old loft door. It needs some trimming, but it'll work just fine.
If you're planing on building a coop, do yourself a favor and start early, give yourself plenty of time. These birds grow quickly.
My neighbor is a farmer and is giving us some eggs and an incubator so we can hatch the eggs. If you're going to buy your chickens then you probably have to the end of April to build your coop.
Whatever path you choose I would get 'cracking'
I know I know, terrible joke. You should know by now that I just can't resist a bad joke or pun.
My neighbor is a farmer and is giving us some eggs and an incubator so we can hatch the eggs. If you're going to buy your chickens then you probably have to the end of April to build your coop.
Whatever path you choose I would get 'cracking'
I know I know, terrible joke. You should know by now that I just can't resist a bad joke or pun.
As always - Thanks for following
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve
Be safe and be creative
Best
Steve




No comments:
Post a Comment